Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Opening Cutscenes








This might be a little more fun for you poetic and dramatic writers. Cutscenes are a HUGE part of gaming anymore. It started out as impressive, silent graphics and has now turned into short films about the characters and settings. Opening cutscenes can easily suck a player into playing a game.


Your prompt: Create a great opening cutscene. It can either be full of talk or speechless.


Reasons for speechlessness: A video game script doesn't just have dialogue. It has narration. A game script's narration is usually short and to the point, but there is plenty of it. A great opening isn't always full of talk. Sometimes confusion or an adrenaline rush can suck in a player.


Other notes: Even if your opening has no talking, be sure to involve sounds in your description. Sounds add tons of depth to any game.


Examples of great openings:


Final Fantasy 8

This cutscene has absolutely no speaking. The reason this make a great intro is because it shows many elements of the game: relationships, action, and future events. The music gives a nice adrenaline kick as well.









Prototype (CAUTION: This is a M17 game. It contains graphic violence. Like, people getting cut in half violence.)

This is a great opening because not only do you see really wicked action, but you learn the story of the character you're playing. Even with my weak stomach, I'm itching a bit to play this game myself because the story is so facinating. (Even if it is a bit of a I Am Legend steal.)









Uncharted

I like this opening because it makes me laugh. Ok, there are more reasons than that to as why it's a good opening. You learn about the characters you're going to be spending a good week looking at. The story is set up and when that is settled, it goes straight into the action. Perfect!











Kingdom Hearts 2

This is a very complicated opening, which makes it so great. Not only is this the opening to KH2, but it's a synopsis of the events in KH1 and KH: Chain of Memories. So it's like 3 games meshed in one. Not easy. This is another opening with no real talking other than the song lyrics.








2 comments:

  1. Nice post. As a gamer and fantasy writer, I have always enjoyed the cutscenes by Black Isle, Bioware, and Blizzard (not sure why they all start with B). They've changed a great deal over the years from the monocromatic drawings of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate to the 3D action scenes of NWN and NWN2. Diablo and Diablo II openings and cutscenes made me shiver, and I expect Diablo III will be no different.

    Most often these are done with narration of some kind to setup the location and some of the plot.

    From your selections above, I enjoyed Prototye the most, but I'm drawn to dark protagonists.

    Interesting that 3/4 posted here have something to do with water/beaches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 myself.

    I didn't even notice the beach thing. I do love my beaches. Heh.

    ReplyDelete